From: Rick Burch [mailto:rburch(--nospam--at)conterra.com]
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 5:14 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Connections

Scott,
North Carolina has something similar in their law as far as buildings
owned by the state or by a local government. I'm going from memory here,

but I saw a comment once from the state office that reviews construction

documents for school construction where they objected to some light gage

trusses where we called for the actual design to be done by the truss
supplier, similar to the way prefabricated wood trusses are done.  The
reviewer  included a copy of a statute that said something to the effect

that contractors are prohibited from writing specifications or designing

parts of projects where the state, a city, a county, etc. was the
owner.     So their law prohibited the contractor from engineering
anything, as opposed to "exempting" them as in the Alaska law you
describe.  Instead of being part of licensing law, I imagine the NC law
was probably intended to keep contractors from  writing the
specifications so that they had an unfair advantage.

I wasn't directly involved with that project, so I didn't get to dig
into it and fully investigate. It raised tons of questions in my mind
though, such as how you could ever use prefabricated wood trusses,
precast concrete, or metal buildings on a government-owned project in
NC, since these items are designed by the contractor based on a
performance specification.

So let me ask you, in Alaska does the law prevent even a metal building
from being designed by the supplier's engineer? Are they prohibited from

stamping the metal building drawings?  I know that if I had to design
metal buildings or prefabricated wood trusses myself and show the
details on my drawings, it would be a rare occasion when I would ever
use them.

Thanks,
Rick Burch
Columbia, SC