From: chuckuc [mailto:chuckuc(--nospam--at)pacbell.net]
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 11:39 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Perforated shear wall design

Dennis-
IIRC the testing methodolgy was exactly the same for the perforated
(unreinforced) walls, the Simpson Strongwall, Hardy Frame, et. al. None
of them have been through a real earthquake but I'd have to agree that
I'm not comfortable with unreinforced openings in Zone 4.

Ed Diekmann oversaw a set of monotonic tests on reinforced, perforated
walls that were never published but supposedly validated  his analytical
apprach.  Maybe Charley will improve our knowledge on the subject.
Chuck Utzman, P.E.