From: "Roberto salinas" <salinas_roby(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Perforated shearwall design
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 17:51:13 -0800

Please see attached sketch. Are perforated shearwalls that are supported by a beam as shown handled as case 1 or 2?

From: Charley Hamilton <chamilto(--nospam--at)uci.edu>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 13:54:59 -0800

Roberto -

Are you asking about uplift forces at the interior base of
the end wall piers?  Or are you asking about load continuity
across the "joint" between the interior wall segments and the
end wall piers?  Pardon my ASCII art, but I couldn't get my
pencil to work on the screen.  ;-)

|                 |                     |                    |
|                 |                     |                    |
|                 |      Interior       |                    |
|                 |                     |                    |
|                 |                     |                    |
|                 |                     |                    |
|                 |=====================|                    |
|                 |                     |                    |
|                 |                     |                    |
|                 |                     |                    |
|                 |                     |                    |
|     End         |                     |         End        |
|                 |                     |                    |
|                 |                     |                    |
|                 |                     |                    |
|                 |                     |                    |
|                 |=====================|                    |
|                 |                     |                    |
|                 |                     |                    |
|                 |                     |                    |
|                 |                     |                    |
|                 |      Interior       |                    |
|                 |                     |                    |
|                 |                     |                    |
|                 |                     |                    |
| HD              |                     |                 HD |

In the former case, you should consider those loads as
transferred to the interior wall segments.  In the latter case,
you must provide for load transfer across that "joint" per
1997 UBC 2315.1.

Charley

--

Take advantage of our best MSN Dial-up offer of the year ? six months @$9.95/month. Sign up now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup