Acceptable Level of Overstress

What is the general practice on acceptable level of overstress when checking an existing member for capacity?

I have an existing wood beam that is 6% overstressed with new loads. I am prepared to deem that “Acceptable”. I was always taught that 10% or less overstressed is okay. I have a plan checker wanting to cut the limit at 5%. Is this somewhere in the code???

Tia,

-gm

Gerard Madden, SE, PE

California Licensed Structural and Civil Engineer

Madden Engineering

2183 Eaton Drive

Lodi, CA 95242

T: 209.368.9955