Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Acceptable Level of Overstress[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: Acceptable Level of Overstress
- From: "Gerard Madden, SE" <gmadden(--nospam--at)maddengine.com>
- Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 15:22:04 -0800
What is the general practice on acceptable level of overstress when checking an existing member for capacity?
I have an existing wood beam that is 6% overstressed with new loads. I am prepared to deem that “Acceptable”. I was always taught that 10% or less overstressed is okay. I have a plan checker wanting to cut the limit at 5%. Is this somewhere in the code???
Gerard Madden, SE, PE
- Prev by Subject: RE: AASHTO Pedestrian Bridge Railing Requirements
- Next by Subject: Acceptable Level of Overstress
- Previous by thread: RE: Seismic design of walls
- Next by thread: Re: Acceptable Level of Overstress