Re: Acceptable Level of Overstress

There is no specific provision in the UBC for this. But section 3403.2 of the IBC specifically mentions 5% as acceptable overstress of excising members. Section 15.8.4.2 of the NFPA 5000 also allows 5% overstress.

Ben Yousefi, SE
Santa Monica, CA

>>> gmadden(--nospam--at)maddengine.com 12/03/03 03:22PM >>>
What is the general practice on acceptable level of overstress when
checking an existing member for capacity?

I have an existing wood beam that is 6% overstressed with new loads. I
am prepared to deem that "Acceptable". I was always taught that 10% or
less overstressed is okay. I have a plan checker wanting to cut the
limit at 5%. Is this somewhere in the code???

Tia,
-gm

Gerard Madden, SE, PE
California Licensed Structural and Civil Engineer

Madden Engineering
2183 Eaton Drive
Lodi, CA 95242
T: 209.368.9955
F: 209.368.9966
E:  <mailto:gmadden(--nospam--at)maddengine.com> gmadden(--nospam--at)maddengine.com
W:  <http://www.maddengine.com> www.maddengine.com