RE: Acceptable Level of Overstress

Hi Gerard, We also limited the overstress to 5% for existing members, unless the increased forces on the element are in compliance with the code for new structures.  This is written into our “Anchorage Existing Building Code.”  I looked in the 97’ UBC chapter 34 and the appendix to chapter 34 but did not see language to that mentioned the 5% but I suspect it is stems from it some where.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gerard Madden, SE [mailto:gmadden(--nospam--at)maddengine.com]
Sent:
Wednesday, December 03, 2003 2:22 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Acceptable Level of Overstress

What is the general practice on acceptable level of overstress when checking an existing member for capacity?

I have an existing wood beam that is 6% overstressed with new loads. I am prepared to deem that “Acceptable”. I was always taught that 10% or less overstressed is okay. I have a plan checker wanting to cut the limit at 5%. Is this somewhere in the code???

Tia,

-gm

Gerard Madden, SE, PE

California Licensed Structural and Civil Engineer

Madden Engineering

2183 Eaton Drive

Lodi, CA 95242

T: 209.368.9955