RE: Schooling (was Connections)

Sorry, Scott but I have to disagree with you on this one.  I think about 80% of engineering is in the details and knowing what needs to go on the plans.  If an engineer can't even sketch a detail for the drafter how is the drafter going to know what to draw?

If the graduate engineer doesn't even know what a framing plan looks like how will he know when the plans are correct or not?  Your method relies too much on the drafter knowing how to teach the engineer and the drafter probably doesn't even know the constructability of what they are putting on the plans.

I'm not saying that you have to pay the engineers to draft but they need to know what the end results should look like and they have to be knowledgeable enough to convey that information to the drafters.  And that generally comes from doing.  And I think a significant amount of that should be part of the undergrad curriculum.

Jim Persing