RE: Schooling (was Connections)

Scott:

"Drafting a framing plan"

I think the word "drafting" should have been "designing" a framing plan. I don't think I want a drafter preparing a framing plan without some guidance. This is pretty fundamental stuff, but also can be tricky. I wonder how many of this list actually put a building together (drawings, calcs, et. all) prior to graduating from college?

I also wonder how many engineers are still doing "hand" calcs? Was the preparation of structural calculations taught? How many have had a course in the preparation of structural calcs, you know, the title page, index, criteria, organization of loads and sections (---numbering of pages!!), as well as the reference sections and maybe the documentation for an in-house program or spreadsheet? How do we document our input into some of the commercial design programs?

One of the requirements (when I was in school) that was started at my strength of materials course, continued through our stress analysis, timber, concrete and steel course in our sophomore and junior years and continued through the 15 units of advanced structural analysis in our senior year, was that all homework problems and lecture notes were drafted on 8-1/2 x 11 pages, 8 pages to a sheet for a 22 x 34 tracing. I believe we all hand drafted this on grid vellum, either a 8x8 grid or a 10x10 grid. Prior to graduation, we were required to provide a set of prints of these notes and calculations to our structural engineering professor. A real pain in a way, but invaluable for the first few years on one's engineering career. I remember one portion that was directly applicable to the Calif. S.E. test - moment distribution with haunches - I had the correction factors, because the one's that the test had provided were illegible.

Ah, illegibility of calculations. Another topic that a number of us could take off on!!

Neil Moore, S.E.

> Drafting a framing plan

Ah, personally I did not go to college to learn to be a drafter/CAD
operator, so I don't necessarily see this as a universities
responsibility.  At best, I should know what a framing plan LOOKS like
after graduating.

> Drafting a structural detail

See previous comment.

> Hand drawing a sketch

Again, not the point of going to a university.  I can teach any high
school student to draw a hand sketch.  What I want is the structural
engineering grad to KNOW what needs to go on the drawing (within limits).
While it is nice for engineers to know how to do such stuff, frankly you
are wasting your clients money (and your potential profits) if you are
paying engineers to draft.  But that is your choice.  I would rather be
paying them to ENGINEER/DESIGN.

Regards,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI