RE: Schooling (was Connections)

David Fisher wrote:

. > Schools need to get back to basics:

. > Sizing a beam
. > Drafting a framing plan
. > Drafting a structural detail
. > Hand drawing a sketch

. > THIS kind of prep would make a recent grad a lot more productive!

. > I've tried to impress this concept on my alma mater, only to have it fall
. > on deaf ears...

This is because schools have PhD's who were taught by PhD's to be PhD's
teaching students to be PhD's instead of P.E.'s.

After all, you can't get published if you don't have a student's thesis or
disertation to which you can add your name.  And you can't get tenure if you
don't get published.  And if you don't get tenure you don't have a job at
that institution.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona