RE: Schooling (was Connections)

The issue of what universities teach and don't teach is a long and often
debated subject.  The best quote I saw was one which summarised a survey:

Young graduates: "I wish they had taught us how to size a beam, draft a
structural detail and do more "real world" tasks."

Associates: "I wish we had been taught more advanced analytical methods and
more business skills"

Principals of top design engineering firms:  "I wish I had been taught more
mathematics and physics."

I think there is no easy answer to what should be taught because what you
think is important depends on who you are, where you came from and where you
are at.  Each person has valid points of view, but the reality is you only
have 4 years and you can't do everything.  I think the most important things
to be taught are the skills that only a university can give you, the other
more practical aspects you will pick up on the job.

If an employer thinks that sizing a beam is such a difficult task that it
can't be learnt by a graduate within a few days then maybe they should
reconsider their hiring practices or re-examine their communication skills.

Craig