From: Suresh Acharya [mailto:struct(--nospam--at)att.net]
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 1:48 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Acceptable Level of Overstress

Gerard,
 I  would not worry about slight overstressing if:
    -it is a roof  beam and the tributrary area is substantial.
    -it is continuous beam and the controlling mode is flexure because there a chance of redistribution of moments. /*The beam would not know whether you used ASD or LRFD method!! */

Suresh Acharya, SE

Gerard Madden, SE wrote:

What is the general practice on acceptable level of overstress when checking an existing member for capacity?

I have an existing wood beam that is 6% overstressed with new loads. I am prepared to deem that “Acceptable”. I was always taught that 10% or less overstressed is okay. I have a plan checker wanting to cut the limit at 5%. Is this somewhere in the code???

Tia,

-gm

Gerard Madden, SE, PE

California Licensed Structural and Civil Engineer

Madden Engineering

2183 Eaton Drive

Lodi, CA 95242

T: 209.368.9955