High-Impact Glazing

Fellow Engineers:
I?d appreciate learning your experience re residential
windows with high-impact resistant glazing.
New Jersey recently adopted IRC 2000. One new item is
the requirement to protect windows and doors from
damage due to wind borne debris. A listed method for
doing this is to use high-impact glazing. However,
some area fire dept. officials have said that such
glazing could prevent firemen from entering a house in
an emergency. Has this actually happened? Are they
overstating the risk?

Thanks
Irv