Effective length of columns

Hello everybody
      What graphs or equations are you following in USA to
determine the effective length of columns.
We are using figures from "The Structural Engineer" No 7 Vol 52, July 1974
of the Council of the Institution of Structural Engineers, U.K. ; here in
India.

Thanks

Mukesh Chandra Upadhyay
Senior Design Engineer
M.E. (Str. Engg.) B.E. (Civil)
J. P. Ventures Ltd. (Consultancy Organisation of Jaiprakash Ind. Ltd.)
64/4, Site 4, Industrial Area, Sahibabad
Ghaziabad, U.P.  - 201010 India