Re: Effective length of columns

If you are referring to K factors, we use the alignment chart for framing columns given in the AISC Steel Manual. However, this manual does not address the stiffness reduction factors of framing beams with non rigid end conditions. The classic book by Galambos is another valuable resource.

Rajendran

mc.upadhyay(--nospam--at)jil.co.in wrote:

Hello everybody
What graphs or equations are you following in USA to
determine the effective length of columns.
We are using figures from "The Structural Engineer" No 7 Vol 52, July 1974
of the Council of the Institution of Structural Engineers, U.K. ; here in
India.

Thanks

Mukesh Chandra Upadhyay
Senior Design Engineer
M.E. (Str. Engg.) B.E. (Civil)
J. P. Ventures Ltd. (Consultancy Organisation of Jaiprakash Ind. Ltd.)
64/4, Site 4, Industrial Area, Sahibabad
Ghaziabad, U.P. - 201010 India

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
* site at: http://www.seaint.org

Do you Yahoo!?