From: Dennis Wish <dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net>
Sent: Dec 5, 2003 2:34 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Paper Space - was:  Engineering Education Reply to Bill P. from Gerard

One final bitch - AutoDesk will no longer support Autocad 2000 AEC after
mid-December or January. I have been getting ads from my Autocad dealer
that if I upgrade to AEC 2004 it will cost me $1,800.00 +/- but if I
wait until after January (or whatever the date it) I will have to buy a
new station for $5,200.00 (+/-). This is a rip off and a royal insult.
However, the question is how long Windows platform upgrades will support
the older version of AutoCad. I don't want to upgrade. I tried 2002 and
hated it. I would move to another program, but I like the 2000 AEC
package - I'm comfortable with it and can produce drawings the way I
like them. I don't want to be forced into spending money on the threat
that the operating system in the future may not support the older
version. Most of you who have installed 2000 AEC on an XP machine
understand. You can do it, but you need to identify the installation
program in XP's Compatibility Mode. If this will work for the next ten
years, then I will refuse to change. If not then I'll start looking at a
less expensive CAD system to move to. There should be no time limit on
upgrades - this is extortion in my book.

Sorry, but every time a company refuses to support their product after a
number of years, we are forced to buy something more than we need.
Fortunately, I have the disks and don't need to register online to keep
using the product. Watch out for those products that take this choice
away from you.

Dennis