RE: Hot-Dip Galvanizing of A 307 Bolts and Related Nuts

The link provided by Charley Hamilton has a section on "Mechanical Plating".

Jim Persing

 -----Original Message-----
From: Lowen, Dave [mailto:Dave.Lowen(--nospam--at)amkc.ca]
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 10:22 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Hot-Dip Galvanizing of A 307 Bolts and Related Nuts

Bill

The project I am currently working on is marine and if bolts are not galvanized, they are stainless or Ti. My galvanizer assures me that there is no such process as mechanically galvanizing or cold galvanizing and that many people mistake cadmium plating for mechanical galvanizing.

As for comment, we have had no fit-up problems and no bolt fit problems. We also are using A325 galvanized bolts with the same success. I am told that the hot dip galvanized coating will last a min. of 20 years whereas the cad product will not last the first year.

HTH,

Dave