Re: Raymond Step Tapered Piles

Thomas:

I have Raymond's Catalog's S-57 and S-60 in my files, but they don't provide any capacity's.

This sounds like a Raymond Standard pile - maximum length  37 feet.  (These were developed in 1897).  A 37 foot pipe has a 8" dia. tip and a 22.8" dia butt.  "The shells are made of sheet steel and are internally reinforced with a spiral wire on a 3 \-inch pitch.  The diameter increases uniformly at a rate of 1 inch for each 2-1/2 feet."   The concrete strength should also be called out.  These are probably end bearing piles.

Other references:

Design by Seelye - 3rd edition - page 7-15
Pile Foundations by Chellis - 2nd edition - page 271
Introductory Soil Mechanics and Foundations - by Sowers and Sowers, 5th printing - 1957 - page 159
Foundation Engineer - by Peck 6th Printing - 1962 - page 176

Best reference (I have) - NAVFAC DM-7.2 - Table 1, page 7.2-180.

You also might check Section 2807 of an early UBC (the one that I can find here in the office is 1949) and section 1808.3 of the 97 UBC.   Not a lot of difference.

Neil Moore, S.E.
neil moore and associates

Side note:  I almost went to work for Raymond straight of college as an "assistant superintendent".   I think one would start out counting blows for a while.   One branch of the company used to be on Bigge Avenue in San Leandro.