Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 8:09 AM
Subject: Q: Hot-Dip Galvanizing of A 307 Bolts and Related Nuts

I have a job going for purchasing. I got shop drawings on miscellaneous steel which will be connected to some timber members using A 307 bolts.

The bolts were shown on the shop drawings as ?hot-dip galvanized.? I changed it to read ?mechanically galvanized.? Now the supplier claims it will take them over a week to get those.

The contractor wants me to ?handle it? (implying ?use hot-dip galvanized bolts?). I am uncomfortable with this because of past reading where hot-dip galvanizing of bolts caused fit-up problems and heat-related problems with the bolt material.

However, A 307 is not considered ?high strength? I believe, so it may be all right to hot-dip galvanize.

Comments, please.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.

Polhemus Engineering Company

Katy, Texas USA