Designing Masonry to Span Horizontally

I am designing an infill wall for  PEMB.  The vertical eave height is 30
feet.  The rigid frame spacing is 26.25 feet.  It seems to me I can span
the wall horizontally or vertically for lateral support.  I am used to
spanning a wall vertically but not horizontally.  How does one design the
reinforcing?  It seems to me that it is similar to designing a vertical
span.  The steel area I determine is used in the horizontal bond beam.
The spacing of the steel is the spacing of the bond beam.

What concerns me is that it seems to me to be is easier to build a wall
that has vertical reinforcing than horizontal reinforcing.  I have a wide
variety of rebar spacing options.  Also, grouting can be done in high
lifts.  If I start requiring bond beams then the construction sequencing
seems to slow down.  If I had bond beams at 4 feet on center then every 4
feet they would have to stop, pour the bond beam, and start again.

Am I looking at this right?  What is the best way to approach a
horizontally spanning masonry wall?  What is the best way to attach it to
the rigid frames?  I was thinking of a Hohmann & Barnard gripstay type
anchor on the column.

Thanks.

Rich

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!