From: IRV FRUCHTMAN <ifaeng(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>

Subject: High-Impact Glazing

To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

Fellow Engineers:

I’d appreciate learning your experience re residential

windows with high-impact resistant glazing.

New Jersey recently adopted IRC 2000. One new item is

the requirement to protect windows and doors from

damage due to wind borne debris. A listed method for

doing this is to use high-impact glazing. However,

some area fire dept. officials have said that such

glazing could prevent firemen from entering a house in

an emergency. Has this actually happened? Are they

overstating the risk?

Thanks

Irv