Shear Walls and 3x Framing (UBC)

Title: RE: DC PE needed (drawings review)

According to footnote 3 under UBC Table 23-II-I-1, any shear wall with a capacity greater than 350 PLF in seismic zones 3 & 4 need 3x members at abutting panel edges and foundation sill plates (unless the anchor bolts are designed for half…).

According to the table, a shear wall 15/32” CDX w/8d @ 4” has a tabulated capacity of 380 PLF.

Question:

If I design a structure such that wherever I have a shear wall meeting the above specification the design load is no more than 349 PLF, do I still need 3x members at abutting panel edges and foundation sill plates when my anchor bolts are not designed for half capacity? The concern I have is that, even though I limit the design force in this shear wall to no more than 349 PLF, it still has a capacity of 380 PLF.

TIA,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)

V/F (949) 248-8588

San Juan Capistrano, CA

http://members.cox.net/ballense/