RE: IBC 2003 Eqn. 16-50

> Equation 16-50 combines lateral seismic loads (QE)
> with vertical dead loads (D) and calls it "E", that
> is then to be used as E in the load combinations of
> Section 1605.
> Is the combined E force then assumed to be totally
> a lateral load or is the equation intended to\
> represent vectorial combination, and not mathematical
> addition?

Vector addition.  Basically, the "D" factor is added to or subtracted from
the "D" factor in the basic equations.  1.2*D becomes (1.2 +/- 0.2Sds)*D,
etc.

This is to account for the vertical component of seismic force.  For
example, you would increase the dead load for a beam that acts as both a
diaphragm chord and a floor beam, and would decrease the dead load for
uplift resistance.

--
Jason W. Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, LLC