Re: Shear Walls and 3x Framing (UBC)

Seth -

The other thing that I've heard is that when designing
> shear walls you are supposed to design all connections
> for the capacity of the sheathing.  Including hold-downs.
> This seems a little over kill to me.  Not sure if this was code
> related or something academics were suggesting.

This isn't something I've heard going around the academic
circles, so it may be a code-related thought.  There will
always be a weak link, and making it the sheathing seems like
a dangerous game, since the "failure" modes of a HD are readily
modeled, and probably easier to address in post-failure design
considerations (assuming any are made) than sheathing failures.

Charley