From: chuckuc [mailto:chuckuc(--nospam--at)pacbell.net]
Sent:
Thursday, December 11, 2003 10:22 AM
To:
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Shear Walls and 3x Framing (UBC)

The nails need to be staggered & it isn't possible without the 3x at the edges.
Chuck Utzman, P.E.

Schwan, Martin K. wrote:

Bill, in the UBC they say “where allowable shear values exceed 350 plf…” I think it’s clearer in the IBC where it states “sill plates resisting a design load greater than 350 plf (ASD)…”  I always thought the intent was if the design load exceeds the stated value then 3” sill plates are required.