From: Rand Holtham, P.E. [mailto:rand(--nospam--at)sigmaengineers.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 7:50 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Residential Truss Bracing

I usually specify that lateral bracing of the web members is prohibited unless shown on the drawing. If a web member gets to be over 6' long l/d =50 then we note the lateral bracing on the drawings. This forces to use heavier members otherwise the truss guy will put bracing for the webs all over. Of course the top and bottom chord is braced by sheathing or strapping are these are carfully noted on our drawings

However if no engineering documents are present and a home owner buys a roof truss system who fills in the gap then? The carpenter? I think its a pretty chicken note from TPI and it can be dangerous to the public. City officials should watch this because I believe they bear the responsibility in the absence of a design professional.

Rand W. Holtham, P.E.
Sigma Engineers, Inc.
Beaumont, Texas