Re: Side Pressure on Foundation

Mukesh,

I assume you are pouring a foundation on a rock surface and then will backfill around and above the foundation.  Assuming the backfill has been properly compacted then you can use the passive earth pressure to resist the lateral loads.  Passive earth pressure is covered in most soils/geotechnical books and look for formulas by Coulomb or Rankine.  Obviously the best thing is to get this number from a geotechnical report for your site if one exists.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

mc.upadhyay/JPCERT(--nospam--at)JIL.CO.IN

12/08/2003 08:55 PM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc
Subject
Side Pressure on Foundation

Hello
     How can i account for the lateral pressure on the side of
foundation; which is resting on rock and will be 1m thick.
There is just a figure in Fintel's handbook; but i find nothing
more than this.

Thanks

Mukesh Chandra Upadhyay
Senior Design Engineer
M.E. (Str. Engg.) B.E. (Civil)
J. P. Ventures Ltd. (Consultancy Organisation of Jaiprakash Ind. Ltd.)
64/4, Site 4, Industrial Area, Sahibabad
Ghaziabad, U.P.  - 201010 India

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org