From: chuckuc [mailto:chuckuc(--nospam--at)pacbell.net]
Sent:
Thursday, December 11, 2003 2:27 PM
To:
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Shear Walls and 3x Framing (UBC)

Merry Christmas Dennis-
1.Up here in No. CA we sheath everything--it's just you So. CA right-wing conservatives that cut corners ;o)
2. How does the stud know it's not supposed to split because you calculated 349?
3. You're correct about the 3x sills.

Bill-
1. Staggered nailing in a 2x isn't difficult is impossible
2.One story- nail the top plate (.5" stagger)
3. Two story nail at the rim joist

Charley-
I'm not so sure its easier to predict tie failures than it is SW nailing (especially when post/hardware get above PHD5).

Tom
I usually write my G/N  just like that--staggered at less than 6" spacing. (Although to be completely consistent a 2" o.c. pattern should move into 3 rows :o(

I make every reasonable effort to keep my loads low enough to use 10d @6--they are much easier to build.  & size my tiedowns for load rather than SW cap.YMMV
Chuck Utzman, P.E.