RE: Keeping the American Spirit Alive Reply to Jeff

Title: RE: DC PE needed (drawings review)

Jeff,

Actually you did not set me off. I do have a nerve open for those who think I might be bigoted for wanting to protect the jobs of Americans within America. This seems to be the first argument sent to anyone who is protective of their national job market.

I was against removing the tariffs, but I don’t think it was for the reason of free trade. I remember when counterfeit A325 bolts came into the US from Asia (I recall that it was Asia but might be mistaken about this) and they did not hold up in construction. I think that we set very high standards on building materials (and not enough on building method compliance) and by lifting the tariffs we risk allowing lower quality materials to be brought into the US by price buyers that can retard the quality of construction that we strive to uphold through building codes. If the quality is no longer there, then our choice (if we can’t control this) is to raise the bar again on code conformance.

I can’t admit that it is Engineering Spirit that we are trying to protect – I think it is a National labor protection issue that is probably felt in the European Union and Canada as well.

Happy Holidays to all,

Dennis