RE: Public Relations

Title: Message
Dennis:

Calm down, and keep up the good work!  When enough structural engineers join and become active in their local SEAs, there might eventually be enough money and energy to proceed with the sorts of advertising campaigns that you want to see.  In the meantime, you should be aware that most SEAs are run entirely by the volunteer efforts of your peers without any paid staff.  Even NCSEA and the larger SEAs are run mostly by volunteers working under miniscule budgets.  Until you agree to join SEAoC, please let the pear tree keep growing and refrain from shooting the partridge!

Happy Holidaze,

Stan

Stan,

I’ve done more than you have. NCSEA is doing nothing to educate the public on residential or light-framing and I know this as a former member of your advocacy committee. Your members with the exception of Bill Polhemus have little experience in light-framing and care less if this area of the market is covered. Yet light-framing represents more than 95% of all buildings constructed in the United States.

I do a great deal in my area by attempting first to educate clients that walk through my door and next to speak to students and adults by volunteering for services in my community that bring me to the homeowner in a group setting. There is little I can do to change the thoughts of larger tract developments, but then again I live to my personal principles and refuse tract housing.

As a former member of the Building Horizons program (five years on the board of directors) I participated in the training of high school students who are not going on to college but who will be picking up hammers and tools to build homes. Albeit they are guided by the large developer who tells them just how to build (by design) but we are assured that these students will be producing better quality products in the field than minimum wage untrained labor from across the border. With that said, let me add that my experience with illegal workers is that they work their butt’s off and they are paid very little for it. The problem is that in tract development, they learn on the job and they are not as concerned with the quality of their skill as those specifically trained. But, as a representative from Sunrise Corporation once told me, this is a “Free-enterprise” system and Sunrise has the right to maximize as much profit from the job as possible even though the code or laws in do not require disclosure.

There are many things that local engineers can do – but the one thing that won’t work is for people like you to point a finger at vocal engineers like me. I can easily back up my service to both the community and the profession. I think you should stop asking what I have done and start to do something constructive as a representative of NCSEA to educate the public on the largest market in the building profession that costs both the insurance company and the homeowner the most in out-of-pocket repairs. If YOU led the drive to educate the public through the use of advertising dollars to run public service commercials as many industries do, you might associate engineers with more than high-rise structures or the infrastructure. The public may decide that they want to choose the level of performance of the home they buy.

Dennis