RE: Making a difference ??

John,

We are all passionate and most of us believe in our side of the opinion line. We can pick out the good and we can point out the bad – probably the most relevant point that hit me most in your comments is that when it works, the structure or those who designed it are anonymous, yet when it fails the world finds out (I am paraphrasing). When I first joined SEA in 1983 I believed that the companies who invested in their employees’ participation as volunteers were acting in the best interest and representing the needs of the membership. When I left in 2000 or 2001 I felt as though the needs of a few were guiding the direction of all others. At one point a disagreement on this issue arose between the chapters in California as to this very ideology. The one where those who volunteer lead won out over involving proper representation of the members and I left on principle that this was wrong. However, I did not simply walk away without voicing and writing my concerns to each board of directors in my chapter and at the state level. I never did receive the curtsey of a reply for any of the letters I wrote over the years to those decision makers on SEA of California.

Each state association is different and I admire the purity that Alabama appears to have in working for the welfare of the people and representation of their members. California saw these ideals at one time in the past, but in my opinion and that of others who had their say and spent their time volunteering, it is different today and the politics is a wall that none of us can get through.

I don’t want to make a blanket statement on all SEA Associations or those that have more than one chapter. Each is a entity of thinking professional members, many with opinions and ideas which should be welcomed as part of the volunteer process (some of us are too far from the major city to participate over a table and during business hours). What is debated on this list should be considered an indicator of the opinions of at least some of the professional community instead of a bitching session.

John, I am not arguing with your comments. This is not a black and white issue as there is a vast area of gray that blends good intentions with self-serving deeds. The hard part is differentiating these issues and deciding on our own which are true and which are not. In your case, I commend you and your company. It appears that in Alabama the importance of structural engineering exceeds the self-serving and this is what I would hope every state association represents. I only ask that each state association and those state chapters don’t exclude valuable opinion because it does not come from a volunteer or a member. The building code does not discriminate who it intends to serve and no professional association should do the same.

My apologies if I offended the well intentions of your firm as a blanket statement. I did not mean it in this vane and it may be that I have lived in California too long.

Happy Holidays to you and yours,

Dennis S. Wish, PE