Re: Ontario Pre-Start Health & Safety Review - storage racking

> From: "Peter James" <p.james(--nospam--at)novatech-eng.com>

> Has anyone in Ontario been involved in a Pre-Start Health & Safety Review on
> existing storage racking for which there is no manufacturer's data
> available? I've read the MoL and PEO Guidelines, and I don't find any

I have to assume that this is a renovation/relocation. Otherwise, why
would you be doing a PSR?

Is the manufacturer unknown or is it known but no longer in business? If
the manufacturer is unknown, then you have some work to do. Depending on
the value of the racking to be reviewed, it may be cheaper to buy new.
The MoL says thou shalt follow the RMI spec which also leads to AISC and
AISI (corresponding to CSA S16 and S136 and also a JIS spec).

Depending on the details of the members, you may be able to determine
who made it. If they are simply no longer in business, you may be able
to find somebody who has the data that you require (former sales reps,
dealers, etc.).

Availability depends on how long the racking company has been gone (e.g
before or after the MoL's PSR requirements). Talk to their competitors.
Frequently, competitors acquire documentation for comparison purposes.

Used racking sellers are probably good for some leads, as well. AJEK has
been around for a long time.

I don't have any data.

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.