Re: oh canada!

> From: "Andrew Kester" <akester(--nospam--at)bbma.com>

> But I still think Celine Dion cancels out the positives of hockey. And I =

Las Vegas can keep her and Wayne Newton.

> am sad to admit it was a Canadian who invented our sport of basketball. =
> But he did so in 'Merica at least.

I believe that Naismith was an ex-pat American working in Canada under
an H1-B equivalent when he formalized the game ... :)

It's like A.G. Bell, a Scot, who did a lot of cross-border hopping and
all sides like to claim the invention of the telephone and ASL, among
others. Brantford, Ontario, home of Wayne Gretzky (a hockey
connection!), was one of Bell's hang-outs and the city likes to brag
that Bell did his best work there. He was also instrumental in the
beginnings of the National Geographic Society while living on his estate
in Nova Scotia. Personally, I think that he was avoiding taxes and
taking research funding where it was available.

I don't know if Bell ever learned to skate or stick-handle a puck.

> From: "Huffman, Sharlie TRAN:EX" <Sharlie.Huffman(--nospam--at)gems9.gov.bc.ca>

> Oh, yes in the engineering world we
> also invented:

This also shows our national obsession with trying to justify our
existence.

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International