Re: Upgrading unreinforced quarry stone masonry building ...

I haven't done retrofit on stone but have on lots of unreinforced brick
buildings and I think the retrofit could be similar.
In general we place 4" or more of gunite either on the exterior or the
interior, reinforced quite heavily and tied to the masonry with 5/8" dia.
or heavier bolts drilled and epoxied into the masonry.
And then we reinforce the floor and roof diaphragms. And if there are
large openings we place steel frames around them, usually on the inside
of the wall and tied to the wall.

Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA