Re: stone Veneer support

Dan,

Thanx for your response, the problem I have is that the openings
are quite large, (20'-0" ) and I can't get an angle to span that
length and still satisfy the L/600 criteria

Tarek

Tarek,

I would not support the steel lintel using the wood header. Rather, I would extend the angle some distance on either side of the opening and support it on the stone veneer. The extension distance will vary depending on the load and bearing capacity of the stone. Supporting the lintel like this is very common. Check out the Brick Institute for some online lintel design information.

HTH

Dan Morrow, P.E.

Swenson Say Fagét Structural Engineers

2124 3rd Ave. Suite 100