Closure Pour versus Construction Joint

In case anyone wants a response from a cool-headed third party...

I can see where one would get the idea that a closure is merely a special kind of cj. In PT design, though, the two mean different things. A construction joint is a place where the pour stops, and another pour starts. PT and rebar can cross this gap. For PT, this is an intermediate stressing point. There is generally a small amount of added bar to keep the cold joint from opening, but not usually much. A closure pour is a gap of usually about 3' the divides one pour from the next, usually used to allow shrinkage to take place. No rebar or PT can cross continuously from one side to the other, as that would prevent differential movement. Rebar must be lapped across this joint. As PT must anchor at each side without passing through, there is general quite a bit of extra rebar, and the PT profile is impacted. At some point, often 21 - 56 days, the closure is closed and the diaphgram become continuous. Those are the standard uses of those words as I have seen them used. In the real test of the definition, if you told a contractor to anticipate a construction joint, then later told the contractor that you specifically want a closure pour, they would regard this as a change, and a moderately expensive one with scheduling implications at that, not just as a more specific kind of the same animal.

Regis