RE: stone Veneer support

Bruce:

I would say that yes, you are reading the IBC correctly.  The IBC does not
permit wood members to support masonry except in certain limited
conditions (such as veneer that weighs less than 40 psf and is less than
30 feet high...see section 2304.12).  This is very similar to the
provisions in the MSJC (masonry code).  These exceptions are mainly aimed
at situations where wood foundation walls are used, not really for
lintels.

I don't really know what the IRC says on the matter.

Generally speaking, this means supporting masonry on loose steel lintels,
although precast concrete is sometimes used in commercial applications.
You don't have to just use angles for the loose lintels...sometimes it
might be necessary to go to wide flanges, channels, or tubes.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI