RE: stone Veneer support

> I would say that yes, you are reading the IBC
> correctly.  The IBC does not permit wood
> members to support masonry except in certain
> limited conditions (such as veneer that weighs
> less than 40 psf and is less than 30 feet high...
> see section 2304.12)....

Yes, technically, you can bolt a steel lintel to a wood beam in a wood
framed structure.  I've always been cautioned against that, though, because
of how much a wood structure moves.  Shrinkage, gaps in fit-up, etc.

With your span, you might try burying an HSS beam with a pair of HSS columns
in the wall, then welding an angle to the beam.  A pair of 3.5 sq. columns
with a 10" or 12" deep x 3.5" wide beam will fit inside a 2x4 wall.  Another
option would be to place a steel channel with the web to the outside and an
angle welded to the web.  Torsion might really limit you with that option.

---
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, LLC
Kansas City, Missouri