RE: stone Veneer support

Some years back, I researched the requirement prohibiting masonry from being
supported by wood.  It appears that the requirement is purely aesthetic ----
that wood deflection (and creep) causes masonry to crack.

There is a (landscape) nursery near my home that has a wood lintel
supporting masonry over a set of double doors.  (It was built years ago when
the land was outside of city limits and was not under the jurisdiction of any
building code.)  The lintel had deflected and the masonry above it cracked
along mortar joints that clearly demonstrated to an engineer that masonry
bridged the opening and that the lintel supported only a small triangular
portion of the wall.  The wall has since been pointed and painted and the
crack is no longer visible.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Bruce Holcomb wrote:

. > According to Section 2104.1.6 of the 2000 IBC this is not allowed... am I
. > reading the code correctly?  Does the IRC allow brick veneer to be
. > supported on wood? I am not very familiar with the Residential Code, but
. > a quick check of section R606.9 says brick over openings is to be
. > supported on steel lintels.