RE: stone Veneer support

Bruce,
We don't use the same codes, but as long as the beam
or lintel meets the strength and deflection requirements
of the code you can use whatever you want.  I can't
speak for all parts of Canada. but I have seen wood
lintels used in 99% of residential construction.  In
commercial jobs,I tend to use steel or wood depending on
the building construction-in this area, for masonry and
even some concrete, people favour steel for speed of
installation.
regards,
Gary Hodgson