RE: Shear Walls and 3x Framing (UBC) STAGGERING

Mr. Merrick:

Although I agree that the below mentioned publication has the graphic as
shown, I think this was "artistic license" instead of intent.  IN fact,
it is my recollection that our helpdesk has drawn a figure that is more
similar to Chuck Utzman's below graphic.

>From our perspective, the intent of staggering is to reduce the
potential for splitting.  The illustration in L350G is intended to show
the staggering parallel to the framing.  The staggered perpendicular to
framing is simply coincidental.

Tom

Thomas D. Skaggs, Ph.D., P.E.
Senior Engineer