RE: virus alert

Title: Message
I am pleased with AVG virus software.

Please explain:
"For those still suffering with spam, I continue to recommend POPfile running as a proxy (Outlook Express, Eudora, etc.), or as an Outclass plug-in (Outlook)".

Thanks.

Rajendran

Raj:

POPfile is a great state-of-the-art solution for handling Spam!  It is completely free, works very well with Exchange Server and Outlook, and uses cutting-edge Bayesian statistics filtering.  This means that, like most of us, it learns from its mistakes and gets better with age.  However, unlike many of us, it learns very quickly.  After just a few days of sporadic training, it will reliably filter virtually all of your mail without any mistakes.  In fact, it can do all sorts of filtering and is not just limited to spam detection!

If you use Outlook Express, Eudora, Netscape Mail, or any program other than Outlook as your POP3 email client, then you will want to install POPfile for Windows as a proxy between your email client and your ISP.  POPfile will filter your mail, and add "[spam]" to the subject line of all messages that it thinks are spam.  You can then easily configure your email client to put these messages in a "Junk" folder, or to simply delete them altogether.  You can download POPfile at the link below, but be sure to carefully read (and probably print out) all of the eight-part directions before installing.

http://popfile.sourceforge.net/

You can run POPfile directly from within Outlook with a really slick plug-in called Outclass.  This also allows POPfile to work with Exchange Server and a central email system.  In this case, first download and install POPfile from the above link, but don't (ever) run it and don't configure it to start up automatically.  Then download Outclass (link below), but once again be sure to carefully read (and probably print out) all of the directions before installing.  Outclass manages to use the POPfile filtering engine without ever turning it on!

http://www.vargonsoft.com/Outclass/

I use Outlook Express with POPfile at home, and Outlook XP on Exchange Server with Outclass at work.  Both solutions work great and capture my voluminous spam with 98%(+/-) accuracy.  Try it yourself.  After a couple of weeks (at most) of training the corpus, I think that you will conclude that it makes spam nothing more than a minor nuisance.

Stan