Re: Vibration design practice for condominiums

> From: Scott Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu>

> I am not aware of any foot traffic vibration requirements in the codes.
> But, then I _ALWAYS_ take a look at that as people don't tend to like it
> when the floor vibrates just from a lightly loaded cart rolls down the
> hall or someone walks down the hall.  I rather not have to deal with a
> phone call from a nervous client somewhere down the line wondering why
> his/her floors vibrate with someone walks on it.  To me, this is in the
> same line of "prudent" engineering as making sure that your high rise

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Tom Higgins wrote:
>
> > Colleagues,
> >
> > This is a question about current practices and design economics in
> > relation to floor vibrations and sound transmission in dwelling units.
> > In condominium construction, for example, what steps, if any, are

Thats a pun, right?

> > typically taken in the design of the primary structure to  limit impact
> > sound transmission through the floors?  More specifically, if the floor
> > structure is a composite concrete slab on metal deck, are any special
> > steps ever taken in the design of the floor structure itself, narrowly
> > defined?  Is it ever economically justified to add concrete thickness
> > and mass to obtain a better IIC rating?  Aren't there almost always
> > better (more economical/cost effective) ways?

Check:
1) AISC/CISC Steel Design Guide 11 Floor Vibrations Due to Human
Activity
2) www.nrc.ca/irc - Construction technology updates
#35 Controlling the Transmission of Impact Sound through Floors.

others that may be of interest
#1 Control of Sound transmission through Gypsum Board walls.
#16 Sound Isolation and Fire Resisitance of Assemblies with Fire Stops
#22 Control of Floor vibration
#57 Fire Resisitance and Sound Insulation of Load-Bearing Steel-Stud
Wall Assemblies

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International