Re: Shear Walls and 3x Framing (UBC) STA

Chuck Utzman and Tom Skaggs,

Do you have the "Douglas Fir Plywood Association" booklet that describes the
tests that were run to determine the edge distance of nails in framing and in
plywood and the capacities of those nails?  (I'm sure that Tom Skaggs would
be able to find that booklet in APA's files.)

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Chuck Utzman and Tom Skaggs wrote:

. > Tom

. > While I don't think there is anything wrong with the nail placement
. > David has cited, I've drawn the detail on my drawing the way  that best
. > emphacizes the stagger I really care about (to avoid same grain
. > splitting).

. >  Now that we've settled that, lets talk about dimensions.

. > 1. 2x framing with 6" spacing & 2 rows of nails: If you use 3/8" edge
. > distances there's no way to create a 1/8" gap between sheets (unless the
. > outer row is driven at an angle).  The carpenters normally omit the gap.

. > 2. With 3x framing & 4 rows of nails: IIRC correctly 1/2" edge distance
. > is prefered (I ran some simple lap shear tests & found about a 15%
. > strength increase over 3/8"). So with .5" at the edge & .5" between
. > rows, the edge distance on the stud is only .25" (again omitting the
. > gap).  The best solution is 4x at the panel edge.

. > On a somewhat related subject, what are people doing about the very
. > tight spacing that you get with steel strapping? The last time I asked
. > Simpson (maybe 3 years ago) they told me the strap allowables were
. > calculated, not test results.  I usually double the strap length & nail
. > every other hole.  Placing a long row of 16 sinkers at 3" or 4" o.c.
. > seems like a really bad idea.

. > Comments?

. > Chuck Utzman, P.E.

. > Tom Skaggs wrote:

. > >Mr. Merrick:

. > >Although I agree that the below mentioned publication has the graphic as
. > >shown, I think this was "artistic license" instead of intent.  IN fact,
. > >it is my recollection that our helpdesk has drawn a figure that is more
. > >similar to Chuck Utzman's below graphic.

. > >>From our perspective, the intent of staggering is to reduce the
. > >potential for splitting.  The illustration in L350G is intended to show
. > >the staggering parallel to the framing.  The staggered perpendicular to
. > >framing is simply coincidental.

. > >Tom

. > >Thomas D. Skaggs, Ph.D., P.E.
. > >Senior Engineer
. > >APA - The Engineered Wood Association
. > >7011 S. 19th Street
. > >Tacoma, WA 98466
. > >ph: 253/565-6600
. > >fx: 253/620-7235