Re: Spam generation by list

Roger:

While this email address (smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu) is not a "throw away"
address, I only really use it for the SEAINT list (and as a moer
"permanent" email address that people that know me have been using for
quite a while).  I have on occasion in the distant past used it for
registering products, etc.

The end result is that most spam that I get on this email address should
be from spiders that have grabbed this email address from the list
archives or from the info-mac archives (I volunteered with that [a Mac
software FTP site] a while ago).  I get on the order of 40 or so spam
messages a day on this email address (varies slightly).  There have been
times where I have gotten more messages due to viruses (for example, I got
about 300 messages a day when the SoBig viruses hit in the August time
frame).

But, then I also get span on my primary email address that I have only
given to friends, family and business associates.  For that email address,
I usually get about 5 to 10 spam messages a day.  Interestingly, my "junk"
email address (the one that I use to register products, order stuff
online, and register with websites) gets about the same amount of spam as
my primary email address.  I also get about the same amount of spam on
another "throw away" address that I use as the "webmaster" address on a
website that I maintain.  But, then all the spam on all these email
addresses is starting to pick up.

And I don't both with spam filters.  Comcast (my cable modem ISP) does
have server side spam filtering, but I turned it off (they had turned it
on by default but did not bother tell people that).  I don't use client
end spam filters/utilities either.  It is just as easy to delete the
messages by hitting the good ol' "delete" key.  I do use Outlook's Rules
Wizard to sort my messages to folders...I sort by which email address the
message was sent to (plus I get a couple of newsletters that I sort to
special folders).  I don't use the preview pane (if you do, that is a darn
good way to run a virus from an infected email message).  It is just easy
enough for me to delete spam (and virus) messages from the subject lines.
If I am unsure, I looked at the detailed header (under "Options" in
Outlook) to see if the message is legit...then I _MIGHT_ read it.

For this email address, viruses are not a problem at all.  I access this
email account by logging in remotely (by SSH) to a UNIX box at U of
Michigan in Ann Arbor and then run Pine (a text based email client).  The
end result is that viruses are not a problem.

Regards,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI