RE: Fillet Weld Reinforcement of Flare Bevel Groove Welds (Specifically HSS Connections)

Bill,

Welcome.

My best guess is that someone misunderstood section 2.14.3 of AWS D1.1-1996,
upon which the HSS Manual is based. I sit on D1 SC1 on Design, and that
interpretation does not ring a bell with me, either under previous or
current code language.

There has been some effort in this regard. The Canadians have a different
approach, and AISC has new research, that we are studying for possible
inclusion in a future D1.1.

Bob Shaw

Robert E. Shaw, Jr., PE
President
Steel Structures Technology Center, Inc.
24110 Meadowbrook Rd., Suite 104
Novi, MI 48375-3406
(248) 893-0132
fax (248) 893-0134