RE: Outsourcing - light commercial and high end residential

Mark,

Add this to my list of reasons why I left SEAOC nearly three years ago. When are we going to wake up and start to fight back to protect our livelihood?  My wife ordered a pair of shoes for me and the label said made in China – I returned the shoes. Then I looked at the shoes we bought at the mall – Hush Puppies. Again, made in China but now its too late for me to take them back (I’ve had them for a month and never checked the label). My wife told me that Dexter makes shoes in the U. S. and I asked her to go with me to find Dexter. If this is what it takes, I am starting to pay more attention – I only hope it’s not too late.

I have more work than I can handle now, but should I be complacent about it and figure that it will continue. I still think that if the professional community worked together, we could establish a network of engineering firms that would support other firms as the work load cycles over geographic pockets of the United States. If this does not take away the excuse for not using “national” labor (whether your are Canadian, European, Australian, British etc) then the only answer left is greed and lack of consideration for those who need to earn a decent living. In time, unless those who can see the consequences of their actions, they will be the first to leave this country to relocate to were conditions are better and the cities have not deteriorated from financial destitution.

Sounds bleak, but not unrealistic. Be optimistic – this is great- but don’t hide your head in the sand until its possibly too late.

Dennis