RE: Fillet Weld Reinforcement of Flare Bevel Groove Welds (Specifically HSS Connections)

As I understand it the capacity of a flare bevel weld, when the geometry is
controlled by the tube and a plate, is limited.  This limit is  reflected
in
the prequalified partial penetration weld shown in AWS D1.1.  If you wanted
to build up
the effective throat dimension you would have to grind steel to modify the
dimensions of the groove or increase the gap.

Having looked into this problem it appears that the minimum dimension of
the
resulting partial penetration weld is near the plate and not at the
interface to the tube.
Thus by adding a reinforcing fillet weld you can increase the capacity of
the weld at this
critical section.

Mark Gilligan