Re: Outsourcing - light commercial and high end residential

Hello Dennis:

I am one of those people who sometimes take the time to read your posting (rather long quite often) and I do appreciate your long posting which most of the time makes sense.  But of all the posting you have had I feel that this is one of your worst comments which seems to brings out a little bit of racism.  I was of the opinion that you were trying to save the profession from going overseas but it seems to be more deeper than that.  I would not mind if you had said that the quality was bad but no, it was the "made in china" that got you.

Even in the most "made in USA" products some of the parts are sometimes exported and put together in the US.  I am unsure if that is a loop hole in the labeling.

Would you refuse a client who is Chinese too because he is made in China???  Do you not design houses for people of other nationality.  Were all your professors Americans too?  Come-on Dennis get a grip of things.  You probably defend these by saying that these are not overseas jobs.  But my point is most of the first generation people were not "MADE in USA".

One of the best things about the US culture is the diversity which I have appreciated all these years and I hope you don't corrupt other peoples minds.

SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST.  That should be the way of thinking.  There are several programmer who have lost their jobs due to out-sourcing and do you know why some have not found a job - they have not gone with the flow.  The ones not finding jobs (in my experience) are the ones who did not acquire new knowledge, did not want to be re-molded, did not want to move around.  This will definitely happen to our profession too.  The best way in my opinion is not by condemning foreigners or overseas jobs but to make good use of the opportunity.

Do you think US went down the drain once the manufacturing jobs were lost to companies abroad.  No, US is still one of the wealthier countries in the world.  Americans are smart enough to find new ways to make new things out of nothing.  The people (I am talking about the FITTEST) who got laid off in manufacturing got training and had to change career.

It is quite normal for companies to move their office location due to the cost of running business.  Even an one man shop might move to a different city if the office space he rents becomes too expensive.  This was unthinkable 50 years back due to limited transportation.  Well here comes GLOBALIZATION.  Now with the new trends in communication any company can work across the globe.

I have been working in the US for over 10 years.  With the advent of globalization, if there comes  an excellent opportunity that I could work from across the globe, I might even do that.

It is probably time that you throw out the computer that you have been using to write these words.  Because I bet you anything, it is not completely made in the USA.  Most of the components are made abroad.  Most of the software that you see are also made abroad.  As you might know, Microsoft has a huge development office in India.  But what you did not know is that Microsoft and other major firms conduct job fairs in the US to recruit people to head their office abroad.

Have you had a chance to look into everything that you have in the house - is everything made in USA.  I could go on and on but it would be a non-stop argument.

To sum it all - I personally feel that this comment of your is ridiculous.  I hope this "virus" does not spread among our intelligent SE community who have developed this amazing portal called the SEAINT (denoting SEA International) where SEs from across the globe access and share information.  Please take a minute to think through a few things and get a better perspective of the world around you before you put them in writing.

Aswin Rangaswamy, P.E.