Bob   Johnson

From: "Norm Matloff" <matloff(--nospam--at)laura.cs.ucdavis.edu>
Sent: Thursday, December 18

I am very frequently asked:

"I'm irate about H-1B/L-1/offshoring.  What can I do about it?"

Here is my answer:

1) Don't assume that Congress wants to Do the Right Thing, they don't.
2) Don't assume that I will organize the pressure on Congress.
3) Send me any articles and other relevant documents you come across.
4) When I post an article to my e-newsletter, write a letter to the editor of the publication.
5) Keep me up to date on the jobs situation in your locality.

6) I read every message, and every message is helpful to me. I appreciate your writing.

If interested, read on:

1.  Don't assume that Congress wants to Do the Right Thing.  Actually,
they don't.

I'm amazed at how often people e-mail me what they feel is an absolutely killer argument which will convince Congress that the H-1B/L-1 visa programs are shams and that offshoring is a problem in urgent need of solution.  They feel that all that we need to do is EXPLAIN to Congress what is going on, and that once Congress is educated, it will want to do the right thing.  Sadly, that is all false.  They are bought off by the industry.  The good news is that public pressure trumps industry dollars, but you do need to EXERT PRESSURE.  That means CONTINUING pressure, constantly getting in Congress' face.  CALL your elected officials' offices, rather than simply writing, and call them at least
once a month.  Get your friends to do the same.

2.  Don't assume that *I* will organize the pressure on Congress.

There are excellent organizations out there--the Programmers Guild, T.O.R.A.W., TechsUnite, the American Engineering Association, just to name a few.  (Sorry for the omissions.)  Join these organizations (more than one), and become ACTIVE in them:

* make appointments to meet with your elected officials, as a group of members of one or more of the organizations

* make appointments with the editorial boards of major newspapers, again as a group of members of one or more of the organizations; this is a highly effective technique, which unfortunately is seldom employed

3.  Do send me any articles and other relevant documents you come across.

I do play a role with my e-newsletter.  Remember, the subscribers are not only activists, but also congressional staffers, policymakers in the executive branch, influential academics, etc.
(Note that Rob Sanchez, www.zazona.com, also has an e-newsletter, which overlaps mine but also complements it.  You should subscribe to both.)

But as the old Beatles song goes, "I get by with a little help from my friends"--actually, a LOT of help.  The vast majority of items I post to my e-newsletter were originally sent to me by you, the subscribers.  So please send me whatever you happen to encounter.  (Please send both the article itself, in plain ASCII text, and the URL.)

4.  When I post an article to my e-newsletter, write a letter to the editor of the publication.

Note that I said write a letter to the EDITOR, not to the author.  You want to influence the editorial decisions of the publication, and if your letter is published, influence the politicians who read the letters to the editor.  (The letters section is one of the most-read parts of
any major newspaper or magazine.)

Sometimes I will post a reminder, asking people to write letters to the editor concerning an article I post.  But please try to do so even when I don't post a reminder.

Note:  Internet addresses for submission of letters to the editor, plus tips on how to write (e.g. keep it BRIEF!), are at

  http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/letters.html

5.  Keep me up to date on the jobs situation in your locality, both for you personally and for others you know in that locality.

In particular, it's important for me to know whether the job market is getting better or worse.  Have you gotten a job after months of unemployment/underemployment?  If you are a consultant, have you gotten more projects lately?  Or is the situation still pretty grim?  Please let me know.

6.  Please understand that even though I don't have time to reply to all the e-mail I get (the daily volume is quite sizable), I do read every message, and every message is helpful to me.  I appreciate your writing to me.

Norm