RE: Railing clearances

> OSHA regulates work related sites such as construction or industrial use
> sites. It is mainly intended for worker safety. UBC is related to
> buildings and its occupants. You need to determine which one of these you
> are dealing with and design accordingly.

While I agree that the OSHA regulations are primarily designed for
construction or industrial sites, people also work in office buildings.
Therefore, OSHA covers office buildings.

My interpretation here is the 3" in OSHA is to give plenty of clearance for
a gloved hand during an emergency grab.  The 1.5" in UBC is for normal
finger clearance during normal use.

If you're a pessimist, you need to detail to whichever is more stringent.
In other words, detail to the requirements the lawyer will cite when you get
sued.  Otherwise, detail to whichever use you deem best fits the location.

---
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, LLC
Kansas City, Missouri